23.6.08

Narrow Stairway.


See, when i first heard about the release of a new deathcab album, MONTHS ago i was convinced that it would be called Narrow Stairway, so i went around, of course trying to seem extremely cool and knowledgeable, saying "i am SOO excited about the new deathcab, coming out in the summer, it has a weird title, Narrow Stairway, it must be filled with all sorts of symbolism" of course when the name leaked to the general public i looked like a complete fool. This story isn't really one of importance. it probably makes me seem even more stupid then that whole narrow stairway. incident.

wow, the next day and this story is even more pointless and absurd to me, i guess it is for my own enjoyment then.

ANYWAY


I just wanted to say i love it. it took a couple listens for the whole thing not to sound as though it were one song, but as I got into it I realized what i had mistaken for un-innovative 'boring' production on the behalf of Ben Gibbard, was actually his pure GENIUS at work.
The entire album, to me, is a montage of sound all tied together under one emotion, longing. of course they dissect this singular emotion and break it up into different variations of the word.

NoW i am no music critic. (although my criticism of cat power DID win me free tickets to her concert). these are just my generalized thoughts on the album.

there is a now, FOUR way tie between Cath..., No Sunlight, You Can Do Better Than Me and Talking Bird, not one captures my heart more then the other.

Naturally, they are the "slower" songs, (which always tends to be the sort of songs i like), Yet they are not, at the same time all the songs sort of have this progression that leads to a faster tempo, and a more crashing exuberant sound. They each tell a story that Deathcab has told many-a-times, but this album definitely has my favorite versions.

still my favorite band. ofcourse.

No comments: